This is the fifth part of a five part series.
Click here to read the first part, All’s Well That Ends Well, The Prelude.
Click here to read the second part, All’s Well That Ends Well, The Process.
Click here to read the third part, All’s Well That Ends Well, The Problem.
Click here to read the fourth part, All’s Well That Ends Well, The Solution.


Even though we took control of the project and managed to recoup all of our lost money from Jason, the project still was much more difficult to finish then we had hoped.   We did have the advantage of being able to make design changes any time we wanted and our home truly became our vision even if this caused us to go somewhat over budget and added to the delays.   It was not unusual for us to walk the house with Jason and make design changes on the spot which he would then implement in our absence.   We had the added advantage of no longer needing to be involved in the complicated process of negotiating change orders or paying extra contractor fees for change orders.

Delay after delay caused us to get so far behind schedule that sometimes, from month to month, the progress was imperceptible.  Some of these delays were caused by the weak economy which resulted in some of our subcontractors going out of business or cutting back on their employees thus slowing down the work.  We even had a robbery where all of our plumbing fixtures and light fixtures were taken from the site while still in their boxes.   This is not an unusual occurrence on construction sites, particularly, in bad economic times.   We suspected that it was done by one of the subcontractors we had fired, but, neither we or the police were able to prove it.   Luckily, our insurance claim was paid rather quickly and we were able to replace everything in short order.

Ultimately, the house took two years to complete and anyone who has gone through the process of building a house can probably relate to this story.  In those 24 months, I made 19 trips to the site for a week at a time.  I pretty much spent 1 week out of every 4-5 weeks in Arizona.  I began to feel like my job was interfering with the building process.

In the fall of 2009, when we thought the house would be completed by Thanksgiving, Joe even went to Arizona to stay for a six week period.  Those six weeks led up to Thanksgiving when all of our children and significant others were joining us at the house.  We ended up spending Thanksgiving in a rented condo and visiting our house.  It was the ultimate disappointment for me and I was so angry with Jason that I could barely look at him never mind work with him any longer.

The next month, when I returned, I fired Jason and hired a new Project Manager who finally completed the construction for us by May, 2010.  We now have a beautiful home on our mountainside vantage point with spectacular panoramic views.  As we sit on our pool patio, all of the work, effort, and agony we put into building this home starts to feel like a distant memory that we hope will eventually just fade away.

As was once said by a famous English author, all’s well that ends well.